Oh my oh my oh my – saucy, sticky, candy and savory cashew hen is right here, and it was my favourite recipe I made this month, and this simply is perhaps the recipe that can pull you (okay, tremendous, me) out of the winter slumps with texture, taste, and somewhat additional jazziness. It’s only a actually enjoyable recipe.
My model of cashew hen is definitely primarily based off of this Cheesecake Factory copycat recipe, which is beautiful and jogs my memory that though haters prefer to hate, I ought to in all probability get again to the Cheesecake Factory for a feast ASAP. Great job, Sabrina.
I made it primarily the identical as her cashew hen recipe, however just a bit simpler, and with a shorter ingredient record.
And what resulted was superb. We’re speaking about chew-sized items of hen, breaded and fried into a pleasant little crisp, tossed with a fast, sticky-candy, soy-and-garlic sauce, all introduced along with a handful of cashews. Ideally this might be served over a pile of sizzling, steaming rice with a facet of one thing of the vegetable selection (steamed or roasted broccoli is a favorite). But extra virtually, you received’t even get that far earlier than you begin popping bites of hen straight out of the new pan.
There is a 100% likelihood that anybody who’s in a 10-mile radius will come working into your kitchen after they scent the garlic, ginger, and soy within the sauce because it hits the pan. It’s an excellent second.
Check out our video for methods to make Cashew Chicken:
Saucy, sticky, crispy, candy and savory Cashew Chicken! Just like your favourite takeout, however made straightforward at dwelling. Served with steamy rice and broccoli.
- three/four cup flour
- three/four cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- half teaspoon paprika
- three/four cup chilly water
- about half cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lb. boneless skinless hen breasts, lower into small chew-sized items
- 1 cup cashew halves
- half cup hoisin sauce
- 1/four cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (optionally available)
- 1/four cup granulated sugar
- 2 cloves recent garlic, grated
- a small piece of recent ginger, grated
- Make Batter: Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, and paprika. Set apart half of the flour combination in a small bowl. Mix the opposite half of the flour combination with three/four cup chilly water to kind a free batter.
- Make Sauce: Whisk all sauce components collectively. Set apart.
- Fry Chicken: Heat oil over medium warmth till a drop of water sizzles throughout the highest. Dredge the hen items within the dry flour combination, then dip into the batter. Let extra batter drip off. Add battered hen items to the oil. Fry for two-three minutes on all sides. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel lined plate. Drain out any extra oil from the pan. (SEE NOTES FOR AN EASY SHORTCUT ON THIS STEP.)
- Finish: Put hen again within the pan. Add sauce and cashews. Stir for about 1 minute, till coated and you can begin to scent the garlic. Done! Serve with rice and perhaps some roasted or steamed broccoli. SO GOOD!
Chicken Shortcut: I discover dredging, battering, and frying particular person items of hen to be sort of tedious. So I tossed *all my hen* collectively into the flour, then stirred up *all of the floured hen* collectively into the batter. From there, I dumped about half of it into the pan of sizzling oil – it’s going to stay collectively and really feel very improper, however you may work shortly and use two forks to interrupt the items aside. And repeat with the opposite half batch. Done!
Type of Pan: Personally I like to make use of a nonstick for this to keep away from the hen getting caught to the underside of the pan.
Caramelization and Stickiness Level: If you want additional browning, caramelization, chewiness, and stickiness, let the whole lot cook dinner within the pan collectively for extra like 5 minutes as an alternative of 1 minute. Personally I like the feel of the sauce at 1 minute, nevertheless it does look actually fairly with that caramelization.
Leftovers: They get a tad bit soggy however I nonetheless actually loved them. For finest outcomes, brown the hen in a nonstick skillet for a couple of minutes to get some browning / crisping on the skin.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese-Inspired
Keywords: cashew hen, takeout hen, takeout at dwelling, sticky hen, hen and rice