Baked BBQ Chicken – that is how I make Barbecue Chicken within the oven once I wish to fulfill my yearning for sticky, juicy rooster however I don’t wish to hearth up the BBQ. This recipe makes use of my fast selfmade BBQ sauce – off the charts good for one thing so easy!
This is a one pan, fast and straightforward dinner. 5 minute prep, dump and bake!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
This recipe used to have probably the most generic of names – “Sticky Baked Chicken”. Nobody ever understood what it really was, so I’d have to explain it. “It’s kinda candy, it’s savoury, and it has this superior glaze!”, I’d animatedly inform my associates, in a bid to persuade them that had to strive it.
(And effectively, effectively, effectively, what have you learnt? Convincing folks they have to strive a recipe is now what I do for a full time job! 😂)
It wasn’t till I began this web site and I really began cataloging my recipes correctly that it dawned on me that the sauce is de facto only a simplified model of barbecue sauce, full size iterations of which you see in recipes like Barbecue Pork Ribs and BBQ Pulled Pork.
Half the elements delivers 90% of the flavour.
For a midweek meal, I’ll take that!
↑↑↑ PS Up shut and private view so you may see STICKY exterior and JUICY inside!
What you want for Baked BBQ Chicken
Here’s what you want. I don’t use – nor do we want – a rub for this recipe as a result of the rooster cooks in the BBQ Sauce so it sucks up loads of flavour. You’ll see the method steps beneath!
Best rooster cuts for BBQ Chicken cooked within the oven – use bone in, pores and skin on rooster items like thighs (pictured, and proven in video), legs and wings. Bone in breast / Maryland may also work right here.
We want pores and skin to get a very beautiful glaze, and we want bone in items to allow them to be baked for 50 minutes in order that they take up the flavour from the barbecue sauce with out drying out.
How to make Baked BBQ Chicken within the oven
And right here’s the best way to make it. See? Dump-and-bake!
OK OK, I simplified it barely. It’s really Dump -> Bake -> Baste -> Broil. The three minute broil is how we get the floor actually properly caramelised!
This oven baked BBQ Chicken is intentionally made with a barbecue sauce that’s thinned out with water so:
- it gained’t dry out within the oven; and
- to create sufficient sauce so the rooster absorbs the flavour because it bakes. We bake the rooster upside for the primary half, then flip it for the second half so each side get the advantage of the flavour, This is why we don’t want a rub for this recipe.
And you’re going to LOVE the barbecue sauce you find yourself with within the baking dish! All the juices from the rooster mixes in as you bake it, so that you mainly find yourself with a world-class barbecue sauce that’s bought the advantage of the final word dwelling-made rooster inventory!
What to serve with Baked BBQ Chicken
In the spirit of all issues BBQ, I’m going to counsel basic sides for a BBQ cook dinner out – and likewise some lighter alternate options simply in case you’re counting your energy!
Though having advised all these sides, it’s really pictured above with this Green Bean Salad 😂. – Nagi x
Watch the best way to make it
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken – with fast selfmade barbecue sauce
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Total: 1 hr
Servings5 – 6 folks
Tap or hover to scale
Recipe video above. This is how I make BBQ Chicken within the oven once I’m craving sticky rooster however do not wish to hearth up the BBQ! Made with a fast selfmade BBQ sauce, the rooster is braised within the sauce which is loaded with additional flavour from the juices of the rooster. Fabulous sticky glaze, juicy inside!
Sauce (Note 1)
- 1 cup ketchup or Australian/UK tomato sauce
- 1/four cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- four tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- half tsp salt
- half tsp contemporary black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 kg / three lb rooster thighs (bone in pores and skin on), drumsticks or wings (Note 2)
- Fresh parsley, chives or finely chopped inexperienced onions , for garnish
Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F.
Sauce: Mix all Sauce elements in a ceramic/glass baking dish (Note three), then combine in water.
Add rooster and switch to coat. Place rooster pores and skin facet down.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip rooster, spoon over Sauce.
Bake for an additional 30 minutes, then take away and spoon over Sauce.
Skim off fats (non-obligatory): Tilt pan and spoon or drain off extra fats.
Broil/grill – Change to broiler/grill on excessive. Spoon sauce over rooster generously, then place underneath grill / broiler for two to three minutes to caramelise the rooster and the sauce to thicken extra. Do not stroll away – this will occur rapidly!
Classic Side Dishes for BBQ Chicken
- Ketchup – sub with Tomato Sauce (ie Aussie/UK tomato sauce, not what US calls “tomato sauce”)
- Cider vinegar – can sub with white wine, sherry or champagne vinegar, OR 2 tbsp regular white vinegar
- Onion powder – sub garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, finely minced
2. Chicken – This recipe is greatest made with bone-in, pores and skin-on rooster items – thigh, drumsticks and wings.
Breast / boneless thighs – will not get fairly the identical outcome as a result of longer bake time will get rooster juices into the sauce. But it may be achieved! Here’s how:
- Mix sauce WITHOUT water
- Use 1 kg / 2 lb breast or boneless thighs
- Follow the cooking instructions on this recipe – Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs. ie coat with 2/three sauce, bake on excessive, baste with remaining sauce & broil/grill to complete.
- Pan – gentle scrubbing shall be required to scrub! So both use glass/ceramic OR steel pan lined with foil then parchment/baking paper.
- Sauce thickness at finish relies upon one many elements eg – how cosy the rooster is within the baking dish, how juicy / fatty the rooster is, oven accuracy. But very simple to regulate – too thick, add splash of water, too skinny, return simply the pan to the oven for a minute or two (thickens tremendous rapidly)
four. Barbecue Sauce recipe tailored from this one by the Neely’s from Food Network.
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming three tbsp extra fats is spooned off and all sauce is consumed.
Serving: 256gCalories: 392kcal (20%)Carbohydrates: 24g (eight%)Protein: 33g (66%)Fat: 17g (26%)Saturated Fat: 5g (31%)Cholesterol: 168mg (56%)Sodium: 655mg (28%)Potassium: 608mg (17%)Fiber: 1g (four%)Sugar: 20g (22%)Vitamin A: 330IU (7%)Vitamin C: threemg (four%)Calcium: 42mg (four%)Iron: 2mg (11%)
Originally printed October 2016. Given a a lot wanted spruce up with new photographs and new video, in addition to an replace on Life of Dozer!
Life of Dozer
When my brother took Dozer out for a stroll. This is why I skilled Dozer NOT to provide slobbery kisses!!! 🤢
And from the unique publication date:
Dashing inside when he heard / smelled / his sixth sense advised him there was FOOD prepared to be photographed.